Joy - A-Z Blogging Challenge

     Last fall I was having a conversation at church with a friend who had recently gone through a divorce and discussing some of the difficulties we were facing as a family.  He responded with "but don't you deserve to be happy?"  To which I chuckled.   Tell me where in the bible, or whichever philosophy/theology you ascribe to, where happiness is promised?  The U.S. Constitution?  That reads "pursuit of happiness", not a guarantee of achieving it.
     Counting on a spouse or any other human being for one's  happiness or "joy" seems to me to be a recipe for disappointment and failure.  As with yesterday's post, I don't know any perfect humans. So honestly, when a team member or family member fails my expectations, I don't get angry, because a) everyone makes mistakes, and b) I probably didn't clearly communicate or provide the tools necessary for them to succeed.
     My joy comes from two places.  Internally from a relationship with a personal God whom I trust and who sustains me through whatever circumstances arrive.  Secondly, it comes from fulfilling the daily reason I exist:  To help others learn, grow and be able to accomplish more in their lives than they thought possible.
Sometimes that's in groups, sometimes it with individuals.  When asked, it's done in classroom settings, but also over lunch, coffee, and with clients for whom we consult.
     I was built to serve, and as long as I choose that altruistic activity over self-indulgence, there's no lack of joy in my life.   There's actually studies in neurology that show this to be true.   Helping others activates the same area of the brain as chocolate and cocaine.  While I'll admit to a passion for dark chocolate, we'll pass on the other and make a positive difference in the lives of those I can.  Nothing would make me happier or fill my spirit with greater joy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transformational Servant Leadership Innovation

You & I: A-Z Blogging Challenge

Rejection & Restoration