Understanding: A-Z Blogging Challenge

     The more I know the less I understand, which is why I've resolved to admit my ignorance.  If I were to approach our conversation with the knowledge I've gained from being a voracious reader, superb mentors and years of failure and success, my position of "knowing" inhibits me from giving you the attention you deserve.  I can't understand you, because I'm too busy formulating my next demonstration of expertise to really listen.
     You'll know it too, because you can see in the eyes that the listener isn't home at the moment while searching the synapses for an electrical impulse of a connection between previously unconnected neurons.
     The more studying I do in the wide variety of subjects that keep me reading when I should be sleeping or some other menial task, the more I clearly and completely understand that there is more existent knowledge than I can possibly hope to gain in a lifetime. Which is why we're meeting in the first place, because you have experience and understanding I don't, but that I need to create and innovate.
     So if you don't mind, I'll maintain my lack of expertise in anything, and stay in the moment with you so that I can, in the end, understand your paradigm.  As the great Peter Drucker said: "My greatest strength as a consultant is to be ignorant and ask a few questions".  And I'm not nearly as smart as Peter was.  Which is fine, because I'm not called to be Peter Drucker.  I'm called to be Jon.
    Now forgive me for having been distracted, but I needed to type some thoughts before they disappeared forever.
   What were you saying?

Comments

  1. Okay, I've got that glazed over look, like whatever you just said went right over my head. I tried to reach up and catch it, but the words were way too fast, and somewhat slippery, so they got away. Can you repeat that, please?

    Haha, just kidding. No, wait. What?

    I'm a new follower via the A to Z Challenge. Nice to meet you, Jon! Obviously, I could use you to improve my individual adaptability! Hope to see you around the Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listening is such an art. I think there are very few real "listeners" because most of us are formulating our response to what hasn't even been said yet !!
    Glad I found you on A to Z!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your worldview.

Popular posts from this blog

Transformational Servant Leadership Innovation

You & I: A-Z Blogging Challenge

Rejection & Restoration